Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Loading and unloading, done. Unpacking and organizing, EFFING DONE.

I got two words to sum up my experience these last 4 days.

moving. sucks.

Never in my life did I ever imagine that moving (and not just that but downsizing from a 1200 sq ft. apartment to an 800 sq. ft) would be so overwhelming and stressful. I do remember lots of people saying that this will be a big challenge and test for mine and Matt's relationship. Sure enough, the week before the move we fought more than we have fought our entire 3 years of being together. I thought the madness would never stop.

But I will say, on the day of the move, this guy really went above and beyond for all the work he put into us moving. We got all of our furniture moved in last Saturday and by the end of the day I just had no idea what to do. I wish, looking back now, that I took pictures of this process but I was too stressed out to even imagine doing that. I wanted to separate all the boxes and put them in their own individual rooms but we had NO ROOM to even do that. We got the bed put together and just clunked out. When we woke up the next morning I tried to get started on the living room, thinking if I could just get the "main" room looking decent I won't feel so overwhelmed. 

About 15 minutes in, I felt like I was making it worse than making it better. I tried to organize by putting the crates and bins in the closets, but they wouldn't fit on the shelves. I tried to hang up mine and Matt's clothes but we only had room for half of mine. We had no storage space whatsoever. We had hardly any cabinet space for all our dishes and groceries. Everything felt like it was just getting smaller and smaller so I just fell onto the couch in tears. I had no idea how we were going to put together this apartment with all of our stuff we had no room for. Matt, being the sweet thing he is, came over and handed me a blanket and said "you're just tired. lay down on the couch and take a nap." Realizing I really was exhausted (especially since I didn't sleep much the night before) I did what he said and fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up a few hours later, I realized that he had already set up and organized the entire living room, dining room AND kitchen..... Just another thing to brag about. My future husband is the absolute best. :)

Anyway, it's now Tuesday and it FINALLY looks the way we want it to. It was rough moving up here, but working with Matt on this has been just a blast. We have always lived apart since we've started dated, even had to maintain a long distance relationship 95% of the time. Knowing that I was setting up and decorating our first home together, there's just nothing like it.

I got a couple of pictures to post throughout the night, including some accents that give our apartment an "awesome nerd touch."

Look out Nashville, the Garretts have MOVED IN!!!! :))))

No comments:

Post a Comment